"Go out into the world in peace, have courage, hold on to what is good, return no one evil for evil, strengthen the faint-hearted support the weak, help the suffering, honor everyone, love and serve God, rejoicing in the power of the Spirit."
Honor everyone.
Been enjoying traffic on the ice lately? Try to walk on a sidewalk that hasn't been cleared? I find it hard sometimes to hold on to the wonderful words we repeat during services. Already this morning I've dealt with bad drivers, difficult co-workers and (heaven help me) Ivy League undergraduates.
Yet taking in a deep breath and asking for God's help actually does me some good at these moments. I try to see whether the person who's left 6 inches of ice on their sidewalk may actually be elderly and in need. I try to think about the times when my kids have been talking to me and I myself have forgotten to use a turn signal, or gotten in someone else's way inadvertently.
Thinking about God's love and the power for forgiveness seems to come naturally big ticket items -- serious illnesses, family crises. I'm bad about the little ones; the little slights; the everyday junk we wade through constantly. I find I need a bit more meditation than I used to, and always at the moment when meditation is impossible!
So my instant and frequent prayers have been questions -- especially while I'm reflecting during this Lenten season, I've been trying to ask God for help in my reactions -- How would you have me respond, Lord? God -- could you please speak through me here? These are my little everyday prayers. When I remember them -- they work. They do wonders for my blood pressure, too!
-- Mary
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment